Nov 2019, Lakes Entrance, Vic
Lakes Entrance was originally called Cunninghame, before a permanent entrance was cut in 1889 to open the expansive Gippsland Lakes and river system to the ocean. In those early days a tree high on the hill at Kalimna was used as a lookout for shipping entering the channel. Today the town of Lakes Entrance, straddling a spit between Cunninghame Arm and North Arm has a population of approx. 5000 people. It is a water sports haven for tourists and home to a commercial fishing fleet.
Footnote: For those with a penchant for applying the ‘Sydharb’ method of measurement, the Gippsland Lakes have an area of 354 sq.kms which equates to approx. 6.4 times the size of Sydney Harbour.