Nine kilometres north of Rutherglen, Vic on Murphy’s Creek an anabranch of the Murray River is the 1880’s Police Paddocks reserve. It was here that the police once spelled their horses on the large grassy islands.
We have a level site overlooking the river at the site of an old gravel pit and the remains of a bridge across to the island. A few rapids make a pleasant swooshing over the last of the bridge supports.
It’s hot, we doze in the shade, splash in the river and cook lamb on the BBQ. What more could one want?