The Mary Kathleen abandoned town site is located halfway between Mt Isa and Cloncurry in western Queensland. Uranium was found here in 1954. A town was built for the miners and their families. When the mine closed in 1984 families were given 21 days to vacate. All of the buildings were sold, houses, shops and community buildings. The houses were sold for $3000 – $4000 and most of them went to the nearby towns of Mt Isa and Cloncurry. Even the swimming pool was filled in. Today there is consideration to reopen the mine site to extract rare earth minerals, for use in mobile phones and the like. The town site is on land held by Rosebud Station and the Campbell family. The only signs of what it once was are the tarred roads and concrete slabs. The Campbell family allow free camping on the site so it is very easy for one to find a nice even camp site on one of the many slabs. Dotted through the trees we see about twenty vans and campers. There is a delightful gentleman who keeps an eye out for the place and is a wealth of information regarding the history as he used to visit the town as a child. He shows us a memorial containing the ashes of two former residents who loved this place. There is also a small cairn made from scavenged junk that holds a letter box. This letter box contains traveller’s business cards and a visitor’s book. We feel like we are in the middle of nowhere, yet there are many signatures dated today.