In an area founded on gold then settled on the wealth of golden grain, Smeaton is one of a number of hamlets dotted across these western plains of Victoria. Built in 1861 Anderson’s Mill at Smeaton served the community until 1959. Now preserved by Parks Victoria the mill, its huge metal water wheel, the office, the Anderson house and all of the outbuildings are in excellent condition.
There is an old wooden bridge spanning Birch Creek, a rather grand bluestone bridge and a picnic perfect park of shady oak trees nearby. It doesn’t take much to imagine what life was like here in the nineteenth century.